[GRASS-user] GRASS, ArcGIS, and Python incompatibilties

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jul 1 07:19:06 PDT 2012

Michael Barton wrote:

> Does this mean that we no longer *have* to bundle wxPython with the
> Mac binaries? That they will work with whatever wxPython is installed
> (assuming it is within the range of supported versions, of course)
> regardless of what it was compiled with?

That should be the case.

GRASS should only require that you have a suitable version of Python
with suitable versions of the necessary modules (primarily wxPython
and NumPy).

One issue with unbundling is that installing the additional components
may be considered inconvenient on platforms which lack package
management facilities.

OTOH, bundling has issues of its own, mainly that you may get
conflicts between the bundled version and the "system" version.