[GRASS-user] grass-user Digest, Vol 74, Issue 66 [SEC=PERSONAL]

Andrew MacIntyre Andrew.MacIntyre at acma.gov.au
Sun Jul 1 17:28:31 PDT 2012

I haven't any experience yet with ArcGIS 10, but the ArcGIS 9.3 installation sets PYTHONPATH in the environment (which a normal Python installation doesn't do).  This can have unexpected side effects such as even a separate Python installation picking up modules from the ArcGIS Python installation (zlib being a particular example I am familiar with).

You may find that you need to do some environment manipulation...

The batch file I use to run Python 2.7 on my machine (with ArcGIS using Python 2.5) is:

---8<---8<---
@echo off
setlocal
set PYTHONPATH=
c:\python27\python.exe %*
endlocal
---8<---8<---

Andrew.

-------------------------> "These thoughts are mine alone!" <---------
Andrew MacIntyre           Operations Branch
tel:   +61 2 6219 5356     Communications Infrastructure Division
fax:   +61 2 6253 3277     Australian Communications & Media Authority
email: andrew.macintyre at acma.gov.au            http://www.acma.gov.au/

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:02:08 -0600
> From: Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
> To: grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org,	grass-user grass-user
> 	<grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> Cc: Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu>, Kevin Sampson
> 	<ksampson at ucar.edu>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] GRASS, ArcGIS, and Python incompatibilties
>
> I thought I'd seen this somewhere on the list, but I can't seem to find it. If
> there is a posted answer, perhaps someone could point me to it. Otherwise,
> hopefully, someone can offer an answer.
>
> I'm working with a colleague who has Windows 7 and ArcGIS installed. He
> installed GRASS for Windows, but it won't launch due to some combination
> of Python/wxPython incompatibility. We're pretty sure that it has to do with
> the version of Python he had to install with ArcGIS. The ArcGIS Python is 2.6,
> but GRASS for Windows comes with Python 2.7. Is there some configuration
> setting to get around this?

 copies of the original message.