[GRASS-user] Compilation of GRASS 6.4.2 from svn on Ubuntu 10.04

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 8 06:35:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012, Rebecca Bennett wrote:

> Having worked through all the dependencies I get as far as
>
>     make -j2 && sudo make install && sudo ldconfig
>
> and get the following error
>
>     make: *** No rule to make target `include/Make/Platform.make'. Stop.
>
> I'm not very good at this so any ideas most welcome!

Rebecca,

   Compiling from souce with the gcc suite is a 3-step process: configure,
make, and make install. I highly recommend a pre-processing step, 'make
clean' to remove cruft left over from previous builds so you're always
starting from a known, good base.

   The configuration step defines what you want included (or specifically
excluded) from the executable and structures the Makefiles based on your
instructions.

   If you don't know what options are available, from the command line type
(without the quotes, of course): './configure --help | less'. This lets you
page through the configuration options. I keep my choices in a text file
called 'configure-options.sh' that I run each time; I include it here just
to show what's available.

./configure --with-postgres --with-sqlite --with-cairo --with-freetype --with-cxx --with-geos=usr/bin/geos-config --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config --with-python=/usr/bin/python-config --with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config --enable-largefile --with-postgres-includes=/usr/local/pgsql/include/ --with-postgres-libs=/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ --with-openmp --with-sqlite-includes=/usr/include/ --with-sqlite-libs=/usr/lib/

   Once the configuration step completes without error you can run 'make'. If
you are curious, you can pre-pend the 'time' command to learn how long the
build took. When it completes without error, you can finish with 'sudo
make_install'.

   If you have other questions, ask.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   Integrity - Credibility - Innovation
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |    Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures