[GRASS-user] GIS Grass and MPI

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 02:52:09 EST 2012

Ripsime wrote:
> Tell me, please. How to install MPI, together with GRASS??

check out the wiki:
   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Parallel_GRASS_jobs

> that is, there is no MPI !!!

correct. (mostly)

> So is there a MPI support for GRASS now !!!

the short answer is no, there isn't. the longer answer is that there are
500 different GRASS modules, some of which are suitable for MPI, many
of which are not. And a few of them have been adapted to run with MPI.

which module would you like to use parallelized?

Various bits of GRASS do have some form of multi-processor/multi-core
support from pthreads, OpenMP, OpenCL, or 'poor man's multi-threading'
using unix shell magic (which actually works extremely well).
Which form of multi-proc to use depends almost entirely on your use case,
each is suited to a particular niche and excels within it, but is not
of tremendous use outside of it.

good luck,
Hamish