[GRASS-user] Re: Grass 6.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.10

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Mar 6 04:31:27 EST 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Bulent Arikan <bulent.arikan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your input. Yes, I misspoke: I should have said that I was
> looking for relatively bug-free version of GRASS for Linux. I must also
> mention that the version of Linux installed on computers is beyond my
> control since it is a lab maintained by others.
>
> The version the computers are running is Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit
>https://launchpad.net/+help-soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html ).
>
> The "archaic" looking GRASS 6.4 came from
>https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable ): they
> reached this link from the following address

ok, sorry that Ubuntu didn't update yet to the latest and greated 6.4.2...
We cannot do much about this.

>http://grass.fbk.eu/download/software.php#g64x ). I realize that this is
> a mirror site in Europe

The master site is here:
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software.php#g64x

> and I think that this last link has some problematic versions of GRASS.

(note that is unrelated if you go to a mirror or the main site)

> I had Windows version (6.4) installed from this address
> for my class last semester and there were a lot of problems with mapcalc,
> gregion, and v.in.ogr.

Yes. But we have worked on this to make it better and released GRASS 6.4.2
recently:
http://grass.osgeo.org/announces/announce_grass642.html

"... This release includes over 770 updates to the source code since 6.4.1."

For sure interesting for you.

> Meanwhile, can anyone suggest a link for GRASS 6.4 for the version of
> Ubuntu I have to work with?

You may try the weekly binary snapshot:
http://grass.osgeo.org/download/software.php#g64x
-> Binaries
   -> Generic weekly snapshot

I hope it is sufficiently compliant with Ubuntu since it is generated on
a Debian machine. Sooner of later Ubuntu will update as well.

Best
Markus