[GRASS-user] Re: Grass 6.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.10

Bulent Arikan bulent.arikan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:31:58 EST 2012

Thank you for your input. Yes, I misspoke: I should have said that I was looking for relatively bug-free version of GRASS for Linux. I must also mention that the version of Linux installed on computers is beyond my control since it is a lab maintained by others.

The version the computers are running is Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit ( https://launchpad.net/+help-soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html ).

The "archaic" looking GRASS 6.4 came from
( https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable ): they reached this link from the following address
( http://grass.fbk.eu/download/software.php#g64x ). I realize that this is a mirror site in Europe and I think that this last link has some problematic versions of GRASS. I had Windows version (6.4) installed from this address for my class last semester and there were a lot of problems with mapcalc, gregion, and v.in.ogr. I will try finding the link for GRASS 7, which had problems so that it can be fixed.

As for Linux GRASS 6.4 issue: I only typed GRASS in Terminal and GUI came up however, I will try what you suggested (grass64 -gui).

Meanwhile, can anyone suggest a link for GRASS 6.4 for the version of Ubuntu I have to work with?

Thanks,

Bulent