[GRASS-user] Re: Grass 6.4.2 on Ubuntu 11.10

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 5 07:32:03 EST 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM, barikan <bulent.arikan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> As a follow-up on this issue, and as a person who never installed GRASS on
> Linux, I wanted to ask the Forum if there is a version of GRASS 6.x that
> will run on 32-bit system, which has a similar look to the most recent Unix
> interface.

If you install a Linux distro package, it should come in either 64 or 32 bit
depending on your system. Unfortunately some distros are quite lagging
behind with the packaging.

> I installed 6.4.2 from the US Tier#2 web site of GRASS (the link
> gave the date of 2009)

Can you please indicate the link? Anything which should be fixed?

> but I am sure that the interface looked archaic.

Probably you did not start with "-gui" parameter and GRASS used
an old (tcl) setting from a previous run of GRASS on that machine.
Try (later it will remember):

grass64 -gui

> It is important that the version is free of bugs since it will be used for a
> workshop designed for beginners. I will appreciate your suggestions.

Say "minimized number of bugs" - bugfree software hardly exists.
GRASS 6.4.2 should be very good for teaching, I used in happily in
a course recently.

> * I also installed GRASS 7 but there are issues with vector import and basic
> analyses.

Please indicate which issues you found (otherwise we cannot fix them).

Markus