[GRASS-user] Re: Possible bug in r.sum and in r.stats?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 06:45:14 EST 2012

On 08/03/12 12:20, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Hermann Peifer <peifer at gmx.eu> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2012 10:43, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>>

>>> As some commands do use the region and mask, while others don't, it might be a good idea to
>>> make this clear in the manual - I know, it is stated if they do, but not if they don't.
>>>
>>> An sub-section under the Description might be an option?
>
> I am always ready to improve the documentation but in this file should additions go?

I looked at it again - there are effectively two solutions I could think of:

1) on raster.html, the list of raster commands could be split into two lists, one "respecting
region and MASK", one "not respecting region and MASK" (or similar).

2) on the respective site of the module (e.g. r.mapcalc.html), under DESCRIPTION,

add a standard sentence as a last paragraph :

"This module *respects* the region settings and the MASK"
or
"This module *does not respect* the region settings and the MASK"

In addition, it should actually also be added to the output of the --help of the modules...

>> This question does indeed come up occasionally. You could perhaps have a look at [1], then go
>> to Next message > Next message > ...
>>
>> Hermann
>>
>> [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2010-September/057988.html

Interesting read - clarified a few things for me.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Fine - just let me know where to add stuff.

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44