[GRASS-user] Registering Maps From Different Sources

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 8 14:41:02 EST 2012

   All project data are from different sources, and normally I have no
difficulties importing them to GRASS, then reprojecting various maps to the
desired project location. This project is being obdurate and I'm out of
ideas on how to resolve the issue.

   Now I am working with three map themes: Public Land Survey System (PLSS;
the Townships/Ranges/Sections at scale of 1:24K); Hydrography (HUC at
12-digit, subwatershed, level at scale of 1:24K from the National
Hydrographic Database); and DEM (3m at scale of 1:24K from the National
Elevation Dataset). Following is the projection information from the source
files:

PLSS (.e00):
Projection    LAMBERT
Datum         NAD83
Zunits        NO
Units         3.2808400000
Spheroid      GRS1980
Xshift        0.0000000000
Yshift        0.0000000000
Parameters
  43  0  0.000 /* 1st standard parallel
  45 30  0.000 /* 2nd standard parallel
-120 30  0.000 /* central meridian
  41 45  0.000 /* latitude of projection's origin
400000.00000 /* false easting (meters)
0.00000 /* false northing (meters)

HUC12 (.prj):
StatePlane_Washington_North
FIPS 4601
NAD83
GRS80
PROJECTION Lambert_Conformal_Conic
False_Easting 500000.0
False_Northing 0.0
Central_Meridian -120.8333333333333
Standard_Parallel_1 47.5
Standard_Parallel_2 48.73333333333333
Latitude_Of_Origin 47.0
UNIT Meter, 1.0

DEM (.tif):
UTM Zone 11
NAD83
GRS80
Bounds
   West -118.86004
   East -118.10445
   North 49.00047
   South 47.83036
UNITS Either Degrees or Meters

   I created a separate location for each and imported the data (multiple DEM
and hydrography files). The project location is in State Plane Coordinate
System, Washington North, NAD83, with units of US feet and created using
.shp files of a project theme provided by my client:

name: Lambert Conformal Conic
proj: lcc
datum: nad83
ellps: grs80
lat_1: 47.5
lat_2: 48.73333333333333
lat_0: 47
lon_0: -120.8333333333333
x_0: 500000.0000000001
y_0: 0
no_defs: defined
unit: Foot_US
units: Foot_US
meters: 0.3048006096012192

   Using v.proj, I re-projected the PLSS and HUC12 coverages, but the two are
separated by a rather large gap on the map display with the former to the
left. When I try to apply r.proj to bring in the DEM I'm told the region is
outside that of the current location.

   I don't see what I've done differently than I have with other projects
where I did not have these issues. What process should I apply to re-import
these source maps so they all overlap in the same coordinate system and
units?

TIA,

Rich