[GRASS-user] Possible bug in r.sum and in r.stats?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:33:30 EST 2012

On 09/03/12 00:16, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> As some commands do use the region and mask, while others don't, it might be a good idea to
>> make this clear in the manual - I know, it is stated if they do, but not if they don't.
>
> I would expect it to be the other way around.

I might remember reading in the manual of a module that it uses the region and MASK - but in
general it might be the other way round.

> Most raster modules respect the current region and mask, because it happens automatically.

So the default behaviour is: all r. modules respect the region and MASK, with some exceptions.

> Modules which don't want to use the current region have to explicitly set the working region
> (typically based upon an input map); modules which don't want inputs to be masked have to
> explicitly disable masking.

Makes sense.

> As a general guideline, you should expect any module which actually processes raster data to
> honour the current region and mask (r.info isn't such a module; it just display's the map's
> metadata).

Based on what you say, I think it might be a good idea to

a) state this on the manual page about the raster modules, and

b) separate the list of raster modules into the ones which
  - respect region and MASK
  - respect region only
  - respect MASK only (I don't thik there are any)
  - use the region of the map and don't use MASK

I think this would clarify things a lot.

Cheers,

Rainer

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44