[GRASS-user] I do not understand how region/projection/coordinate system are intertwined

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Wed Mar 14 08:39:42 EDT 2012

I am not an expert with coordinate projections.  I think that UTM
coordinates are in meters from a false easting and northing.  This is a
very good projection for a "small" part of an ellipsoid.  All other
comments are inline.  I have reposted this to the list because maybe
somebody with a better understanding of this could offer better assistance.

On 03/14/2012 07:24 AM, Fridtjof Schiefenhövel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using Grass 6.4.2 on Mac OS X Snow leopard using a port by Kyngchaos. Thanks for the advice! I think I begin to understand the way Grass handles coordinates...
> I can't decide on my own whether coordinates are shown in meters / degrees, right? The projection dictates this, correct?
right.

> I am mostly working with geodata from new guinea, so even the lat/long projection would be not very much distorted because of the location being so close to the equator. Anyway, I'd like to work with a (transverse) mercator projection but use degrees as coordinates, not meters.

I don't know if there is a pre-made projection for this...  You may want
to look into an equi-distance or equal area projection depending on what
you are interested in, or use UTM if it will cover your area, and then
convert to degrees when necessary.  I guess it depends on your problem.

> Thanks again!
>
> Fridtjof

You are more than welcome.  I hope I have helped and maybe somebody else
will have better advice.

kindest regards,

Stephen

--