[GRASS-user] Re: Overcoming Error in v.in.e00

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Tue Mar 20 18:34:26 EDT 2012

>   I'm trying to use postgres for all vector map attributes and have read
>everything in the on-line docs several times.
>
>   What I'm finding is that when I import a new map (such as the waterbody
>.e00 that started this thread) the attributes end up in a .dbf table rather
>than a new postgres table.

dbf seems to be the default database backend for this mapset.

what I would do:

- create a new mapset

- set sqlite/postgres as the default database backend for this mapset:
[http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/databaseintro.html
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/db.connect.html]

db.connect - Prints/sets general DB connection for current mapset and exits.

- if you import a vector (v.in.ogr,v.in.e00,etc.), vector attribute data
should be then stored in the default database backend for this mapset.

AFAIK no need to manually edit ~/.grasslogin64, ~/.grassrc6, and ~/.grasswx6
etc.

AFAICT another "easy" way to create a mapset with i.e. sqlite as the
database backend for a mapset is to start a grass7-session and create a new
mapset.

in grass7 the default vector database backend is sqlite.

-----
best regards
Helmut