[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief Output Question

Daniel Lee lee at isi-solutions.org
Fri Mar 23 13:46:15 EDT 2012

Hi Rich,

I can't imagine that resampling would reverse the DEM values though. A
glance at r.info would give you the answer to that - if the values are
mostly negative, it should be a pretty good sign that you're either in
Death Valley or inverted :P

One thing to note with r.shaded.relief though is that it doesn't use the
GRASS convention for solar azimuths. NOAA, for example, tells azimuths in
degrees clockwise from north, but GRASS normally uses degrees
counterclockwise from east. r.shaded.relief follows the NOAA system, but
either way, 235° would be in just around the same place for both systems
(as odd as that is). The sun would be coming from the southwest. When I
look at your map (wish the resolution was a bit higher) it looks like the
sun very well could be coming from that direction (I'm just using the
rivers as orientation for relative height). Have you tried another angle,
like taking a look at what the map looks like if the sun's shining from
180° (due south)?

Best,
Daniel

--

B.Sc. Daniel Lee
Geschäftsführung für Forschung und Entwicklung

Deutschhausstr. 10
35037 Marburg
Festnetz: +49 6421 379 6256
Mobil: +49 176 6127 7269
E-Mail: Lee at isi-solutions.org
Web: http://www.isi-solutions.org

ISIS wird gefördert durch die Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Zuwendungsgeber:
Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie aufgrund eines Beschlusses
des Deutschen Bundestages, sowie durch die Europäische Union,
Zuwendungsgeber: Europäischer Sozialfonds.
Zusätzliche Unterstützung erhält ISIS von dem Entrepreneurship Cluster
Mittelhessen, der Universität Marburg, dem Laboratory for Climatology and
Remote Sensing und dem GIS-Lab Marburg.