[GRASS-user] Re: Aster DEM

Stefan Sylla stefansylla at gmx.de
Sat Mar 24 00:20:25 EDT 2012

Hi Javier,

EGM96 (I guess somethin' like 'Earth Geodetic Model') refers to the
vertical datum. If
you only need relative height information (e.g. for watershed
analysis), you do not need
information retrieved from the vertical datum. However, if you need
absolute heights
(e.g. height above sea level), you should recalculate the height
values (substract EGM96
offset from Aster DEM heights) according to the region of your DEM.

Hope that helps
Stefan

Quoting "Javier García [via OSGeo.org]"