[GRASS-user] Vector map too big for v.proj

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:32:00 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Kurt Springs <ferret_bard at mac.com> wrote:
> I am having a problem reprojecting vector maps from lat/long to Irish National Grid.  I have been using v.proj:
>
> v.proj input=Lakes location=IrelandGeo output=Lakes1
>
> and got:
>
> pj_transform() failed: latitude or longitude exceeded limits
> ERROR: Error in pj_do_transform
>
> I am fairly sure this means the vector map is too big.  The lat/long maps cover a good deal more than Ireland.  Is their a way to clip what I don't need?  Also, I have a good vector map of the ocean in lat/long, but I only need the part that surounds Ireland.  When I go to clip it, does I have to draw a new bounding box around it and how do I tell it that every thing inside is blue except for the "islands"?

In the latlong location, you could create a bounding box for Ireland,
then use v.select to select the lakes inside Ireland. For the ocean,
you could use v.overlay op=and with the bounding box and the ocean
vector. Then reproject as before.

Maybe a new option -r for v.proj would be useful, which restricts
vector reprojection to the current region and skips features outside
the current region?

Markus M