[GRASS-user] 3D globe in NVIZ/GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 07:14:29 EDT 2012

Christian wrote:
> is possible to have in NVIZ a 3D globe (like Google Earth)? I must create
> some animations for 2 German TV channels, and I'm struggling to find a open
> source software that can do that (not just the animation, but also the
> rendering/recording which must be 1920p aka full HD).

* try geotiff -> KDE Marble
* NASA Worldwind is another idea if you know some Java
* also OpenSceneGraph (OSG)
(have a look on the http://live.osgeo.org demo disc offerings)

I've been meaning for a long time to put up a screenshot of the Blue
Marble projected into the 'geos' [Geostationary Satellite View (sphere from space)] projection. Since I think it will not be a reversible projection
r.proj will not work, but r.to.vect|r.out.xyz -> m.proj|cs2cs|v.proj ->
r.in.xyz could do it I think. One geos projection (grass location) per
frame might get tiring after a while if you want to see it spin :)

ISTR the old SG3D &/or d.3d module for early or pre GRASS 5.0 could do
something similar, but was never ported from SiliconGraphics GL to OpenGL.
Helena may remember..  also ISTR that Lockheed Martin's "viewproj" for
GRASS 5 could do something like that (see src.contrib/LM/viewproj/) (???)

Geotiff or GeoPNG -> KDE Marble would be the first thing I would try
though.

let us (the grass wiki :) know if you get a good solution ...

Hamish