[GRASS-user] High-resolution agricultural land cover from satellite imagery

Luigi Ponti lponti at inbox.com
Mon May 14 03:57:07 EDT 2012

Dear GRASS users,

(This is kind of new topic to me.)

After reading this paper that addresses the mixed-pixel issue via neural
networks using Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) data:

Tatem, A. J., Lewis, H. G., Nixon, M. S. and Atkinson, P. (2003)
Increasing the spatial resolution of agricultural land cover maps using
a Hopfield neural network. Int Journal of Geographic Information
Sciences, 17, (7), 647-672.
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/260104/1/tatem_tgis.pdf>

I have searched for GRASS documentation on image classification,
particularly on land cover. The starting point is the wiki page on image
classification <http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Image_classification> as
well as section 8.6 of the GRASS book ("Thematic classification of
satellite data"). They both give good basic reference info, but
additional pointers a welcome.

Also found some neural network work on the topic done with GRASS
<http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/conf/SANTA_FE_CD-ROM/sf_papers/muttiah_ranjan/muttiah.html>,
which seems relevant but implemented in GRASS 4.1, and hence I am unsure
it survived inside a GRASS module to date (at least, I could not find it).

We are targeting an agricultural area in southern Italy (several
thousands hectares) for which we have full orthophoto coverage (0.5
meters resolution), and Landsat TM data can apparently be downloaded
freely from <http://glcf.umd.edu/data/landsat/>. High-resolution
agricultural land cover might seem overkill, but the area is highly
fragmented and hence standard CORINE land cover data tend to classify
most of the land as mixed types (not very helpful).

I would like to ask a general recommendation on the best way to approach
an agricultural land cover task such as the one outlined above, together
with possible info on previous implementation of increasing spatial
resolution of agricultural land cover maps in GRASS via neural networks
or other approaches.

Kind regards, thanks in advance and apologies for a long post,

Luigi