[GRASS-user] installing Grass 7 on ubuntu 11.04

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 00:41:36 PDT 2012

On 1 November 2012 13:32, Manish Gautam <manish.gautam29 at gmail.com> wrote:
> worked as I didn't use the ubuntu repository to install rest of the
> prerequisites, but downloaded manually and moved to the source code
> directory and then configured it accordingly

Note that manual downloading and compiling of source codes is usually
not necessary. Using packages from Ubuntu repository should be
sufficient.

If not you can use ubuntu-gis ppa repository. This is how you add it
to your system:

apt-get -y install python-software-properties
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ppa
apt-get -y update

But to be honest, now I'm not sure if this ppa repository, is really necessary.

By the way, you may be interested also in this thread:
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Please-update-quot-Compile-on-Ubuntu-quot-page-in-Wiki-td4999519.html

Vaclav