[GRASS-user] installing Grass 7 on ubuntu 11.04

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Nov 3 14:55:20 PDT 2012

Manish Gautam:

>This time I am getting the following problems :

> 1. So, when I run ./configure after installing Proj 4, GEOS and GDAL,
> this error comes
>
> checking for tcl.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tcl includes.

Are they installed?

> 2.and using this
>
> --with-tcltk-includes="/usr/include/tcl8.5/"
>
> It shows the following message:
>
> "checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes... /usr/include/tcl8.5/
> configure: error: *** Tcl/Tk includes directory /usr/include/tcl8.5/
> does not exist. "

# What do you get by instructing
sudo dpkg -l | grep tcl

> 3. do I need to run this "svn checkout
> https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk" ?

Only if you want to download GRASS 7 (=development version, aka grass_trunk)
via SVN.

> it gives this message : " svn: OPTIONS of
> 'https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk': could not connect to server
> (https://svn.osgeo.org) "
> [is it because of the proxy in the internet connection I am using ? I
> tired it several times but it never got connected.]

> 4. so I skipped the above step and instead downloaded the grass 7
> source files and extracted it in the source directory. then i ran
> ./configure \ and got the following error
>
> " checking whether to use FFMPEG... yes
> checking for location of FFMPEG includes... /usr/include/libavcodec
> /usr/include/libavformat /usr/include/libswscale
> configure: error: *** FFMPEG includes directory
> /usr/include/libavcodec does not exist. "

You probably have to install these also!  Please check the
<http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Dependencies> and try
to install all of them.  Or try directly (you can also remove the "\" and put
all in one line):

sudo apt-get install \
ffmpeg  ffmpeg2theora  libffmpegthumbnailer-dev \
libavcodec-dev  libavformat-dev \
libxmu-dev  libswscale-dev

Nikos