[GRASS-user] error in g.extension

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Nov 20 23:56:15 PST 2012

王德辉:

> If you only want to use this addon, then you just need to download the addon
> and run the command " sudo make MODULE_TOPDIR=/usr/local/grass-7.0.svn/" in
> the addon folder.

Dehui,

Of course I don't know how you have setup your operating systems environment
variables and other details.  Yet, I would like point out (actually repeat)
that one shouldn't compile, e.g. use the make command, as a super-user.

Inside a directory whose permissions grant read and write access to a user,
the use of sudo is not/should not be required.  Furthermore, I am not sure if
there are/will be other implications -- probably not.  But still, it is not a
good practice.

The reason that  sudo  is required for the installation step, is of course
that the process itself copies files in "privileged" directories.  Without
sudo  the installation would fail.

However, in case you know why you use  sudo  while compiling,  I kindly ask
you to share some details.  I would like to know -- since I too was told, in
the past, that doing "sudo make"  is not required (maybe not correct).

All the best, Nikos

[rest deleted]