[GRASS-user] r.sun vs r.sunmask

Patrick S. patrick_GIS at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 19 08:50:14 PDT 2012

Dear List,

I am trying to create a hillshade map with shadowing effect of the
topography. It seems r.sunmask should be my weapon of choice, but it is
incredibly slow. Then I found a mail to the userlist in 2007 where
Markus replies on this
issue(http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/long-run-time-with-r-sunmask-td3936587.html)
saying that extracting NULL values of the incidence angle map in r.sun
would be an alternative.

Is this still the better way or are there alternatives nowadays? I might
miss something as the tool is quite complex in its options and am not
aware of how to use the r.horizon approach, but running r.sun in simple
mode -using elevation, aspect and slope as input- is still slow and
produces a gradient across the map. Am not sure if this is the correct
output.

Command:
r.sun -s elevin=r_dem incidout=r_sun_shadow aspin=r_aspect
slopein=r_slope day=80 time=17 --o

Thank you for any help.

patrick