[GRASS-user] G_malloc error

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 29 12:03:35 PDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 06:27 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

[snip]

> Also, we don't currently provide 64-bit GRASS binaries for Windows, so
> you'd need to build it from source with a compiler that can produce
> 64-bit executables (and you'll need 64-bit versions of all of the
> relevant libraries).
>
> The last time I checked, MingGW-64 was still quite unstable, although
> I don't know if that has changed since. The build system doesn't
> support compiling with MSVC (and the free edition doesn't support
> building 64-bit binaries).

True. And it's a beast to install and to get all the libs and
header files into place. However, the situation is improving
continuously. I have documented my efforts (trying to compile
a GRASS 6.4.3 distro with minimal dependencies for use via
SEXTANTE in gvSIG) here:

http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Development_and_releases.

It's incomplete (I have not been successful at compiling a complete
64 bit binary set on Windows so far), but maybe it will be of some use.

I believe that it is possible to compile 64 bit binaries with
MSVC, after downloading some additional packages:

http://support.brainvoyager.com/available-tools/52-matlab-tools-bvxqtools/339-how-to-get-a-64-bit-compiler-under-windows-to-use-with-matlab.html

However, I am not sure it's worth the trouble: MS change their
free MSVC policies and front-ends all the time. It seems a safer
bet to me that MingGW-64 will mature soon enough.

Cheers,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke