[GRASS-user] G_malloc error

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:44:58 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Benjamin Ducke <benducke at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 10/29/2012 06:27 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>

>> Also, we don't currently provide 64-bit GRASS binaries for Windows, so
>> you'd need to build it from source with a compiler that can produce
>> 64-bit executables (and you'll need 64-bit versions of all of the
>> relevant libraries).
>>
>> The last time I checked, MingGW-64 was still quite unstable, although
>> I don't know if that has changed since. The build system doesn't
>> support compiling with MSVC (and the free edition doesn't support
>> building 64-bit binaries).
>>

> True. And it's a beast to install and to get all the libs and
> header files into place. However, the situation is improving
> continuously. I have documented my efforts (trying to compile
> a GRASS 6.4.3 distro with minimal dependencies for use via
> SEXTANTE in gvSIG) here:
>
> http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Development_and_releases.
>
> It's incomplete (I have not been successful at compiling a complete
> 64 bit binary set on Windows so far), but maybe it will be of some use.

This would not help for the reported problem:

ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 1279792008 bytes of memory at gsds.c:575

because the function where this error occurs, gsds_alloc_typbuff() in
lib/ogsf/gsds.c can only allocate a maximum of 2 GB in GRASS 6. This
has been fixed in GRASS 7, but only if GRASS 7 is compiled with 64-bit
support.

As a workaround, I would suggest to change the resolution of the
current region before using any 3D functionality. I guess you tried
nviz or wxnviz where an image size of 19998x15999 is most probably by
far exceeding the size of the display.

Markus M