[GRASS-user] GRASS on Mac OS 10.8.3

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Apr 9 18:02:26 PDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 7:37 PM, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> That did the job.
> In my case it was actually in .profile.  I think that by default Macports,
> on recent systems, builds 64 bit.  But, to complicate things, I actually
> have a "universal" build of python, but not wxPython.  My guess is that
> the problem was actually with wx, not with python itself.
>
> Thank you much!

Well, if you have a universal Python in Macports, then it should work because it will execute 32bit.  If you mean you have universal Python somewhere else, then Macports 32bit Python is probably found first.

The problem IS python, not wx.  GRASS knows wx is 32bit only, it's just that Python somehow executes 64bit (ie from Macports).  wxPython has been limited to 32bit on OS X until very recently.  My GRASS 6.4.2 includes and the GUI only supports 32bit wxPython.  GRASS 6.4.3 has fixes in the GUI to support the development version of wxPython that can be 64bit on OS X, but I don't think Michael has updated yet.

Good to know that GRASS_PYTHON fixes the problem without fuss.

Note: .bash_profile is the standard shell init file on OS X, at least for Terminal.  OS X Terminal is an oddball in the loading of init files.  On my OS X 10.7 Mac .profile is NOT loaded (it may have been loaded on earlier systems).  So it's a good idea to get into the habit of using .bash_profile, even if .profile happens to work for you.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy