[GRASS-user] installing add-ons for GRASS 6.4.2 on Ubuntu fails

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 17:07:31 PDT 2013

G. Allegri wrote:
> I've compiled GRASS 6.4.3RC2.The add-on installation
> exits with the following error:
> /usr/bin/install: cannot execute stat "/home/giova/Data/GRASSDB
> /3003/PERMANENT/.tmp/xubuntu/16152.0/v.mkhexgrid/man/man1
> /v.mkhexgrid.1": File or folder not existing
> make: *** [install] Error 1WARNING: Installation failed, sorry.
> Please check above error messages.

Hi,

since v.mkhexgrid is just a python script, you can just download
it by hand and put it somewhere in your path.

http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6/vector/v.mkhexgrid/v.mkhexgrid

(~/.grass6/addons/ is a nice place, but ~/bin/ will work too
if you don't have GRASS_ADDON_PATH set up yet)

make sure to run 'chmod +x v.mkhexgrid' on it to make it executable.

> I've installed system wide with sudo, but I launch GRASS
> without sudoing. Could the problem be related to this?

Probably it is related to packaging work-in-progress issues with
the last version of GRASS on Ubuntu & Debian. Hopefully fixed
with the upcoming release of RC3 and the lastest DebianGIS
packaging rules.

> I'm not so expert in sw management on Linux, will it be
> problematic to have both a 6.4 and 7 GRASS on the same
> machine? I would like to test GRASS 7 too...

In general no problem, as 'make install' will create independent
grass64/ and grass70/ directories for each. From a pre-built
packaging perspective the grass64 deb package contains a symlink
called "grass" for startup which the grass7 package can not
collide with. (only one package can provide a file by the same
name) AFAIR the other common system files like the desktop icons
are all named with the major version in the filename so no
conflict there.

note if you want the v.mkhexgrid script to run in g7 you should
check for a grass7 addons version of it. (or minor changes may
be required to adjust for any changed options)

Hamish