[GRASS-user] r.sun use - automaticcaly stopped process ?

simogeo simon.georget at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 05:57:00 PDT 2013

hamish-2 wrote
> a Seg. Fault happens due to programmer error, they told the
> program to write memory outside of where it should have. A
> seg fault should not normally happen due to an out-of-memory
> error.
>
> when a program eats up all the system memory, the OS is left
> which a choice of what to do, as it needs memory too, and the
> choice it makes is to protect itself and kill the process which
> is eating up all the memory. I'm not sure what the translation
> would look like, for me I think it's like "Process killed."

Thanks for the precision. Indeed, it should be "process killed".

hamish-2 wrote
> try watching the process in `top` in a Terminal window to
> see how much memory it uses, and keep going and try changing
> the region res= to be as coarse as 5m.

I haven't seen the memory usage going to 100%, but it should be the cause,
indeed since it's working with a lower resolution (for example region
res=2).

This issue is /kind of solved/ since it appears to be caused by hardware
itself.

By the way, I use a raster having the following characteristics :
-----------
rows:       55109
cols:       54792
cells:      3019532328

but having lots of null values (see image below). Is there a way to speed up
the execution ignoring null values (I guess they are nulll values -
displaying "*" when querying) ?

<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5047964/snap.png>

Many thanks for sharing all this, Hamish.

Bye,
simon