[GRASS-user] r.sun use - automaticcaly stopped process ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 02:39:32 PDT 2013

simogeo wrote:
> I'm running the script under Ubuntu 12.04 - 64bits with Intel®
> Core™ i7 CPU M 640 @ 2.80GHz × 4 and 5.8GB RAM.

ok

> I guess the hardware is supposed (and able) to do the hard
> work I ask for.
>
> A lack of memory should produce a segmentation fault, no?
> The current error message is not really explicit.

a Seg. Fault happens due to programmer error, they told the
program to write memory outside of where it should have. A
seg fault should not normally happen due to an out-of-memory
error.

when a program eats up all the system memory, the OS is left
which a choice of what to do, as it needs memory too, and the
choice it makes is to protect itself and kill the process which
is eating up all the memory. I'm not sure what the translation
would look like, for me I think it's like "Process killed."

> I've tried changing the resolution to 0.5 but I still have
> the same issue
> ... I will still investigate. Any clue/idea would be
> appreciate.

try watching the process in `top` in a Terminal window to
see how much memory it uses, and keep going and try changing
the region res= to be as coarse as 5m.

Hamish