[GRASS-user] Unix and Grass commands in Windows

Stephen Brearley mail at stephenbrearley.name
Sun Apr 21 03:55:42 PDT 2013

Hi Folks

Just wondering how best to execute Unix and Grass commands using Grass
6/7.0. I'm running Windows Vista, and had started installing Cygwin, but
this seems to be massive, and not even sure if this is the best environment,
as some users don't seem happy about it. I had initially thought I could use
the Console window, but this appears not to accept Unix commands. I also
tried the included MySys Unix console which appears to be a Bash shell, but
this does not recognise Grass commands.

>What would you recommend is the best option if I want to use Grass quite a
lot, but don't want to convert my PC to a fully fledged Linux system (unless
that really is the best option, such as using an emulator).

Thanks

 Stephen