[GRASS-user] Fwd: Re: ppa for grass 7 Ubuntu Quantal

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Mon Apr 22 14:30:01 PDT 2013

Hello all,
nice that this discussion becomes lively now!

> the first thing that should happen is that the control files
> should be updated to pull from the latest from the DebianGIS
> git repository.
I respect and recognise the work done there.

2 points where this is not always possible:
* your repo is at grass (6.4.2-3), we are talking about 6.4.3.x & 7.0.x
* sometimes, there are changes in upstream (in the day to day coding)
that do not correspond anymore with the package snapshot taken a a
certain point. Thus, you need to disable some patches. If not, you would
need to create new patches on nearly daily basis.

> All the packaging work is pretty much done and
> problems solved already, no point in reinventing the wheel/chase
> the same target.. (I'm not sure where UbuntuGIS is at in this
> regard, if you are pulling from them. They should sync too.)
The best would be to have 2 upstream repos in git:

* debian files for 6.3.x
* debian files for 7.0.x

LP would then pull these automatically and merge with upstream GRASS
source and build the package.
This would be really great.

> Instructions are in the src:debian/README.debian file in the
does not exist in
git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-grass/grass/debian

> These will generally work fine in a concurrent version of
> Ubuntu (or derivatives), with only minor changes to the control
> file for the occasional renamed libraries.
See suggestion above.

> The whole (re)package building exercise should be possible with
> a simple 2-10 line script.
What for a script are you referring to?
What woudl be the purpose?

Best regards,