[GRASS-user] Fwd: Re: ppa for grass 7 Ubuntu Quantal

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Wed Apr 24 15:21:47 PDT 2013

Am 24.04.2013 23:21, schrieb Markus Neteler:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Tim Michelsen
> <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
>> I get for grass (6.4.x):
>>
>> 3D view mode: /usr/lib/grass64/lib/libgrass_ogsf.6.4.3svn.so: symbol
>> TIFFSetField, version GDAL_1.8 not defined in file libgdal.so.1 with
>> link time reference
>
> Just FYI - this came up end of last year, too:
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Markus Neteler  wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Patrick S. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I observe two errors in my GRASS-GIS 6.4.2 from UbuntuGIS-Repository with
>>> sqlite as database. Does someone know whether these refer to missing
>>> dependancies of UbuntuGIS or are errors of my system and - in case of the
>>> latter - eventually how I can fix this?
>>>
>>> 1.) When starting GRASS I get the message: "3D view mode:
>>> /usr/lib/grass64/lib/libgrass_ogsf.6.4.2.so: symbol TIFFSetField, version
>>> GDAL_1.8 not defined in file libgdal.so.1 with link time reference".
>>
>> There seems to be some GDAL confusion in the Ubuntu built, the same
>> was reported on the Italian GRASS list. It was suggested to check the
>> dependencies:
>>
>> dpkg -s grass
>>
>> or
>> dpkg -s grass-core

Here's the message from Italian list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/grass-italia@listserv.unipr.it/msg03143.html

So the reason:
the PPA  builds NVIZ against 1.9.0-3 from Ubuntu.
if you have also UbuntuGIS PPA activated, you get 1.9.2-2 installed.
So either you would need to downgrade in Synaptic to 1.9.0-3

But I assume that everyone using the PPA would also like the UbuntuGIS
packages.

So I added the UbuntuGIS & UbuntuGIS unstable as dependencies to the
GRASS stable ppa.
As a result, you would need to enable UbuntuGIS unstable on your machine.

Please be aware that in this case, we depend on UbuntuGIS to update gdal
package after release of Ubuntu 13.04.

Please report any further errors to:
https://answers.launchpad.net/grass
https://bugs.launchpad.net/grass