[GRASS-user] Null values from i.atcorr with Landsat 8 image

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Dec 8 13:41:35 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Charlotte Whitham
<charlotte.whitham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mailing list,
>
> Apologies I am a new user with GRASS and have searched everywhere online for
> help with this but to no avail...

You are most welcome here!

> I'm trying to run the i.atcorr module on GRASS (version 6.4.3 on a Macbook
> Pro, Mavericks OSX) with Landsat8 imagery.
>
> Parameters didn't seem to be loading from the provided metadata file
> (MTL_txt) (basically what happened is that when the code was executed it
> wasn't picking up any of the parameters from the text file), so I went back
> to the GRASS manuals and tried to input values by hand, here is what I used:
>
> 8 = geometrical conditions=Landsat ETM+

The problem is that Landsat8 isn't yet supported in i.atcorr, it needs
to be added following
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Atmospheric_correction#How_to_add_new_sensors_to_i.atcorr

Background: the band numbering has changed with respect to Lsat7,
hence using the ETM+ definitions will just fail, also due to other
differences. See for example
http://landsat.usgs.gov/band_designations_landsat_satellites.php

Essentially we need a volunteer to add Lsat8 as a new sensor.

Markus