[GRASS-user] Major changes in the temporal framework

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 21 15:07:26 PST 2013

Dear all,
just for your information:

I will commit several modification to the temporal framework (grass7
trunk) in the next weeks, that will change the SQL database layout and
the API. The goal is to make the temporal frameworks SQL database
interaction much faster, reducing the number of tables to scale better
with tens of thousand of maps, improving the PostgreSQL
compatibility/performance and make it better maintainable.

The changes will result in backward incompatibility. Hence, the new
framework will not work with existing temporal databases. The changes
are too drastic to provide backward compatibility. I will introduce
new tables and columns and completely remove the creation of tables
for each registered map. I will remove several functions from the API
and introduce new classes and functions. To get an idea of the changes
have a look at [2].

Please use the export tools (t.rast.export and t.vect.export) to
transfer your temporal data into the new temporal database, or simply
use t.*.list[1] tools to create text files that can be used for
re-registering of raster, vector and voxel maps in the new temporal
framework.

I will inform you before the first commit that will introduce the
incompatibility.

Best regards
Soeren

[1] "t.rast.list input=my_strds columns=name,start_time,end_time > map_list.txt"
[2] http://pastebin.de/38117