[GRASS-user] R.basin - feet?

Mark Seibel mseibel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 06:38:26 PST 2013

Following-up to my earlier post...

> I'm working in coord system feet and DEM units feet.
>
> I ran r.basin on a stream basin, and I noticed that it reports the basin
> max/min elevation in meters, however, the values are really feet.
>
> Has anyone done this with units of feet?  I see the program do feet/meter
> conversion when running, but maybe that is just for the coord system units.
> (?)

I realize this only applies to a fraction of participants, but maybe it
would help someone.

I noticed language in the r.sim.sediment and r.sim.water modules which
mention that the horizontal units are converted to meters.  It also states
that the elevation needs to be in meters.

Using coordinate system of feet, but DEM units of meters for r.basin, I
verified that at least two parameters are correctly calculated:  Stream
length and basin elevations.

If I use DEM units of feet, it reports that the elevations are in meters,
but the values are actually feet.

Please note I have not confirmed the findings in the actual source code,
just from some quick observations of the module output.

Mark