[GRASS-user] Problem in install Extensions from addons

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 15:04:46 PST 2013

Carla wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working in GRASS 6.4.2. (Ubuntu).
>
> When I tried to install extensions from GRASS addons (
> http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6),
> appeared this error

Hi,

to help me track this down can you answer a couple of questions
so I can replicate it:
 - which version of ubuntu?
 - where did the grass packages come from (standard ubuntu
   repository or did you manually add the ubuntugis testing/
   unstable repo?)
 - what's the exact package version?
   (in a Terminal run: `dpkg -l grass`)
 - does it work if you try g.extension from the grass Terminal
   window command line, not from the wxGUI? (that one uses a
   slightly different method)

> g.extension.py extension=v.profile
> svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass6
>
> Fetching <v.profile> from GRASS-Addons SVN (be
> patient)...
> Compiling...
> /usr/lib/grass64/include/Make/Module.make:25: warning:
> overriding commands for target `install'
> /usr/lib/grass64/include/Make/Rules.make:90: warning:
> ignoring old commands for target `install'
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/lib/bin': Permission
> denied
> make: *** [/usr/lib/bin] Error 1
> ERROR: Compilation failed, sorry. Please check above error
> messages.
>
> How can I fix this problem?

it seems to want to install to the system path instead of your
GRASS_ADDONS_DIR path.  (type at the grass Terminal window
command prompt: `echo $GRASS_ADDONS_PATH`)
The above '/usr/bin/lib/' is clearly trying to build it in the
wrong place, so bypassing the permission problem by running
it with sudo (the -u flag from the command prompt version) is
not advised.

thanks,
Hamish