[GRASS-user] getting from DBF to SQLite

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:46:16 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>> > I thought the question was still up in the air for g7 and
>> > for now it was user choosable by the way you constructed the
>> > db.connect string.
>
> Michael:
>> How can you change the default by
>> changing the db.connect string? I'd like to do it.
>>
>> I don't think it is all that difficult connecting tables
>> across different vector objects, but agree (and said at the
>> time) that it is probably a pretty rare occurrence in
>> reality.
>
> hmm, I thought it did emulate the dbf way if you only speficied
> the directory, but just testing it looks like it doesn't:
>
> [trunk]
> cd $MAPSET
> mkdir sqlite
> db.connect driver=sqlite database='$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite/'
> echo "1|2|abc" | v.in.ascii in=- out=testmap
> DBMI-SQLite driver error:
> Unable to open database:  unable to open database file
>

> we definitely should make that option work for people who
> want/need that though. :)
>
> Is there a reason to collect them in a common $MAPSET/dbf/
> or $MAPSET/sqlite/ dir instead of under $MAPSET/vector/$MAPNAME/sqlite.db ? (and would you want separate sqlite db files for
> each db layer, or for a single map keep all of the layer
> connections using the sqlite driver all in the same sqlite file?)

I guess the reason for one common sqlite database is the ability to do
joins. In GRASS 6.4.1- it was possible to have a separate sqlite db
for each vector in $MAPSET/vector/$MAP/sqlite.db. I have no idea why
this option has been disabled. The VAR file can be

DB_DRIVER: sqlite
DB_DATABASE: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/vector/$MAP/sqlite.db

Should we revert the changes that make it now impossible to have a
separate sqlite db for each vector?

Markus M