[GRASS-user] getting from DBF to SQLite

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 14:26:03 PST 2013

Hamish wrote:
> > I thought the question was still up in the air for g7 and
> > for now it was user choosable by the way you constructed the
> > db.connect string.

Michael:
> How can you change the default by
> changing the db.connect string? I'd like to do it.
>
> I don't think it is all that difficult connecting tables
> across different vector objects, but agree (and said at the
> time) that it is probably a pretty rare occurrence in
> reality.

hmm, I thought it did emulate the dbf way if you only speficied
the directory, but just testing it looks like it doesn't:

[trunk]
cd $MAPSET
mkdir sqlite
db.connect driver=sqlite database='$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite/'
echo "1|2|abc" | v.in.ascii in=- out=testmap
DBMI-SQLite driver error:
Unable to open database:  unable to open database file

we definitely should make that option work for people who
want/need that though. :)

Is there a reason to collect them in a common $MAPSET/dbf/
or $MAPSET/sqlite/ dir instead of under $MAPSET/vector/$MAPNAME/sqlite.db ? (and would you want separate sqlite db files for
each db layer, or for a single map keep all of the layer
connections using the sqlite driver all in the same sqlite file?)

Note v.pack(.py) demos the method to make a $MAPSET/vector/
$MAPNAME/db.sqlite per-map extract.

Hamish