[GRASS-user] Global Land Cover Characterization data type

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:40:52 PST 2013

Hi Michael,

http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globdoc2_0.php#dataform
says that data is in binary flat format, no header...
I suppose that if you download in geographical lat long projection, and
that you get the header info from:
http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globdoc2_0.php#geog

then you should be able to set a new location from this info and import
straight in GRASS with one of the generic binary input function (maybe in
r.in.gdal, maybe another more specific.

good luck and tell us how it went,
Yann

On 14 February 2013 18:02, Michael Spencer <michael_spencer at live.co.uk>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Has anyone used the USGS Global Land Cover Characterization data available
> here?
>
> http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globe_int.php
>
> Indication is that the file format is Erdas Imagine .img, but GRASS is coming
> back with a file type unknown error. Help/readme file suggests data is
> byte type, which leaves me none the wiser!
>
> Happy for any pointers.
>
> Ta,
> Michael

Yann Chemin