[GRASS-user] Converting from xy location to latlong projection

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 17:07:54 PST 2013

Darren wrote:
> I imported the Global Land Cover Characteristics database
> v2.0, but cannot get it to have a latlon projection. By
> using the Force Lat/Lon maps to fit into geographic
> coordinates option, I keep getting the error: The '-l' flag
> only works in Lat/Lon locations.
>
> I tried it without this option and I imported the dataset
> but with the XY location (unprojected) map projection. I
> would like to convert the xy location projection to latlon.
> Ive tried using the r.proj command, but it assumes that I
> already have a raster map with the latlon projection
> available. I also tried to do it through the Settings tab of
> the GUI, but wasnt successful. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thanks.

it is better to create a new lat/lon Location than to try and
convert a simple xy Location into a lat/lon one by hand. all
maps within a single Location will share the same map projection.
You can't mix and match (lat/lon uses a radial coordinate system;
simple xy uses a Cartesian one). after importing into a lat/lon
Location (with '-l') be sure to double check map bounds with
r.info, and fix with r.region if needed.

Hamish