[GRASS-user] Problem in install Extensions from addons

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 13:26:16 PST 2013

Rebecca wrote:
> Checked add-ons menu in gui no sign of r.out.kml, no response
> from typing command in gui but locate says it's there
> GRASS 6.4.3RC2
> (Deer_park):~ > locate r.out.kml

random question which will either make sense or not: Wyandanch?

> /home/becca/.grass6/addons/bin/docs/html/r.out.kml.html
> /home/becca/.grass6/addons/bin/scripts/r.out.kml
> /home/becca/.grass6/addons/docs/html/r.out.kml.html
> /home/becca/.grass6/addons/scripts/r.out.kml
> so I tried moving to the /home/becca/.grass6/addons/scripts/
> and running (./r.out.kml) getting this message:
> final error message (from terminal ./r.out.kml) didn't come
> through on last email, sorry.

you get that when the script is in a path which isn't in the
$PATH. the scripts/ dir in addons was a left-over from a
previous broken wxGUI g.extension.py try. If you simply move
it into /home/becca/.grass6/addons/ (and that is what you have
GRASS_ADDON_PATH set to) it should run ok.

when you run a script it has two passes: the first one makes
the GUI and checks the options, then g.parser re-runs it with
those options. If it isn't in the PATH then g.parser can't find
it on the second pass.

> ii  grass          6.4.3rc2-2~pre Geographic Resources Analysis Support System

can you pull the window wider so that the version number doesn't
get cut short? (& where did the package come from?)

> so close... :)

yes, you are. for what it's worth, for shell scripts you can
always just grab them from svn,
 https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass-addons/grass6/raster/r.out.kml

put the file somewhere in $GRASS_ADDON_PATH by hand, make sure
it has 'chmod a+x g.modulename' execute permissions, and install
it like that. For compiled C modules, it takes a bit more work..

Hamish