[GRASS-user] Producing map layouts and map composition

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Feb 22 04:45:11 PST 2013

On 21/02/13 18:42, katrin eggert wrote:
> Dear Nikos,
> thank you for your reply. Just two questions:
> 1- Which one is better to produce composites? I mean, more easier and
> stable?

As Nicos said, you have to try out for yourself. Most people will
probably find QGIS easier in terms of interactive cartography. And with
the GRASS plugin you can use QGIS to layout a map with data that is in
your GRASS database.

In GRASS ps.map allows to create printing-quality maps. There now is a
graphical frontend to ps.map (the map composer) which allows you to get
going, but for finetuning you probably will still have to use a text
editor as ps.map works with text instructions. The great advantage is
the fact that once you have your perfect layout you can easily produce
hundreds of maps in a script.

 > 2- Is there any limitation version? I'm usng6.4.2

ps.map is a very old and tried module, so 6.4.2 is fine.

Moritz