[GRASS-user] TPIE-based algorithms in GRASS ?

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Feb 24 11:07:42 PST 2013

Hi,

As Ms. Helena Mitasova was involved int it, I would like to know if
GRASS is making use (or is planning to) of the research work done by the
STREAM  project [1] such as TPIE?

Their various publications are showing quite an impressive efficiency on
using these I/O methods to generate a grid DEM from a huge dataset in
comparison with surf.rst. I've not been able to find out an open-source
software based on it as it seems most of the (TERRA)STREAM's devs are
now behind the proprietary SCALGO software.

Being able to manipulate LIDAR datasets without resorting to tiling and
multiple regions would be a great thing ! Martin Isenburg is using a
similar approach in his blast2dem tool, the processing/results are great.

Regards,
MORREALE Jean-Roc

[1] STREAM - http://www.cs.duke.edu/terrain/