[GRASS-user] grass prompt default working directory

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Tue Feb 26 06:11:41 PST 2013

Vincent Bain wrote:
> > More about my previous post, as a kind of self-answer:

> > I understand grass64 launched from a terminal shell is a child process
> > which inherits from the shell's working directory.

> > Sometimes paths are quite annoying to type (even with the help of
> > autocompletion, I'm lazy!).

> > For the time being I wrote a little script, located in my home directory
> > (~/g.cd). It evals GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME, GISMAPSET with g.gisenv,
> > then changes directory to the current mapset.

Moritz:

> I would not recommend using the GISDBASE as your working directoy. My
> general advice: let GRASS handle everything in there and create your own
> files elsewhere.

Moritz,

if I understand Vincent's need(s), and if they coincide with mine, I think
it's about checking map names, colr rules, maybe check the subgroups which is
not easy via the "g.list type=group" nor the "i.group group=yourGroup -l"
commands, etc.

It is not about manipulating files in the GRASS db.  Imagine, that I just want

d.rast some map among the

cm_fmap_2006_ellas
cm_fmap_2006_ellas_forested_areas
cm_fmap_2006_tile_51
cm_fmap_2006_tile_52
cm_ftype_2006_tile_51
cm_ftype_2006_tile_52

(here only a few -- imagine hundreds).  Why do I need to g.list first, mark-
copy-paste (via the middle mouse-button or Ctrl + Shift + C and +V
respectively in the keyboard)? I simply want quick access and the awesome
autocompletion feature to all of my map(name)s and don't need to re-type the
complete name.  Luckily, the history functions of bash are very handy (e.g.
Ctrl + R and more).

I simply navigate inside the respective CELL or FCELL or DCELL or cell_misc
directory sometimes...

Just my old 2 drachmas, Nikos