[GRASS-user] grass prompt default working directory

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Tue Feb 26 06:29:47 PST 2013

> I would not recommend using the GISDBASE as your working directoy. My
> general advice: let GRASS handle everything in there and create your own
> files elsewhere.

Hello Moritz,

two reasons I use to cd to mapset directory :
- general - that described by Nikos, like browsing data via bash
commands;
- particular - the wish to keep a mapset-specific directory I usually
call "ps"; it contains settings files for my recursive ps.map runs,
refering each to a saved region. To my mind this kind of data is
strongly linked to the geodatabase structure, particularly in long-term
cartographic projects.

Another point is that working on a bunch of gisdbases, I am trying to
avoid data scattering, for archiving convenience mainly. But files are
mainly stored at the gisdbase level.

Concerning my first issue: the home-made g.cd script suits me well.

Thank you both for your points of view !
Vincent.