[GRASS-user] grass prompt default working directory

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 07:49:06 PST 2013

On 26 February 2013 15:29, Vincent Bain <bain at toraval.fr> wrote:
>> I would not recommend using the GISDBASE as your working directoy. My
>> general advice: let GRASS handle everything in there and create your own
>> files elsewhere.
>>
> Hello Moritz,
>
> two reasons I use to cd to mapset directory :
> - general - that described by Nikos, like browsing data via bash
> commands;
> - particular - the wish to keep a mapset-specific directory I usually
> call "ps"; it contains settings files for my recursive ps.map runs,
> refering each to a saved region. To my mind this kind of data is
> strongly linked to the geodatabase structure, particularly in long-term
> cartographic projects.
>
> Another point is that working on a bunch of gisdbases, I am trying to
> avoid data scattering, for archiving convenience mainly. But files are
> mainly stored at the gisdbase level.
>
> Concerning my first issue: the home-made g.cd script suits me well.
>
> Thank you both for your points of view !
> Vincent.

Hi, you all made some interesting points. Please consider creating
wiki page on this topic. Something like "Using GRASS from shell
effectively" or "Ps.map files management/workflow" could be
interesting not only for newbies to understand why cmd like is good
but also for advanced users. I guess there is no such wiki page.

Vaclav