[GRASS-user] feedback on GRASS

Luís Mário Ribeiro luis.mario at adai.pt
Thu Feb 28 06:29:46 PST 2013

Hello list,

Following the suggestion of a friend I would like to give you all some
feedback on my initiation with Grass J

I’ve been a user of ArcGIS for a while now and am very well adapted to the
“point and click” way of doing things. During a research project dealing
with forest fires and forest fuel mapping I came across the need to start
using Grass as we had some common procedures to follow which were much (way
much) easier to do in Grass. I didn’t know this at start and hence was quite
worried it would be a huge task for me. It ended up to be much easier than I
thought, basically because I had the invaluable help from my friend and from
you all.

Learning the basics (Locations, mapsets, regions) took some time (no
similarities to arcgis) but it was worth it! It may take some time to adapt
but the detail errors I had in arcgis due to data sometimes not being in
same projections were gone ;)

The amazing power of open source and the community contribution with
tools/suggestions/addons is something out of this world :D

I am and will still be learning (a lot) for the weeks/months/years to come
and I do believe the work being done with the development of Grass GIS is
incredibly valuable!

Big thank you to you all

Luis

Luís Mário Ribeiro

ADAI | CEIF

 <http://www.adai.pt/ceif> www.adai.pt/ceif

 <http://www.facebook.com/CEIF.ADAI> facebook_ceif_en.png

Forest Fire Research Centre | Univ. of Coimbra

Rua Pedro Hispano n12 | 3030 - 289 Coimbra-Portugal

Telf: +351 239 708580 | Fax: +351 239 708589