[GRASS-user] Single grass window as attached display

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 00:25:14 PST 2013

Hi,

this is more dev than user question since a lot of programming is
needed. There are some wxGUI code refactoring efforts (code is
published in grass 7, description will be published). One of long term
goals of refactoring is to enable creation of one big window with lmgr
and display. However, this refactoring is not finished and currently
it is very hard to reuse wxGUI components/classes to build another
GUI.

I thing you have two possibilities:

1) Try to connect lmgr and display anyway. Maybe, it is possible to
make it work for some task but the whole thing would be probably very
buggy.

2) Build a new GUI from components/classes which are already prepared
for reuse. There is a wxIClass (iclass, g.gui.iclass) module which
reuses mapwindow (widget where a map i placed) and adds some very
simple layer management (however, simple layer manager class is still
missing). Depends on what you want, but maybe this is the way you want
to go.

Since this is a problem which is interesting for more people [1,2],
please share your ideas and advances.

Vaclav

[1] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WxGUI#Layout
[2] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_SoC_Ideas_2009#wxGUI