[GRASS-user] Upon improving the GRASS-wiki

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 05:46:53 PST 2013

On 16 January 2013 14:01, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net> wrote:
> Hi Vaclav!
>
> On Wednesday 16 of January 2013 12:40:57 Vaclav Petras wrote:
>> New GRASS-GIS-Wiki logo:
>> What about "GRASS Wiki" instead of "Wiki"?
>> We call these pages GRASS Wiki, do we?
>> So, why not make it clear for novices and visitors?
>
> Sure, it sounds good for the logo(gram).
>
>> Moreover, there is no GRASS (GIS) text in pages now, except for the title.
>> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:NikosA#GRASS-GIS_logo

I just meant that there is no GRASS (GIS) in the (every) wiki page
itself, only in the title (HTML title tag). This supports my opinion
that "GRASS (GIS)" text should be part of the GRASS-GIS-wiki logo.

> I am not sure I understand what you mean here, but, for what is worth:
>
> I would like to use everywhere (in instructions on inside the Wiki or else)
> simply "GRASS". I just keep writing GRASS-GIS to be consistent with the title
> of the main web-site.
>
> I think that there is an unnecessary use of the term GIS in the main web-site
> (and elsewhere?): both in the title "GRASS GIS" and in the subtitle "The
> world's leading Free GIS software".
>
> Why not (title) "GRASS", (subtitle) "The world's leading Free GIS software"?
>
> From another point of view, someone might argue that GRASS-GIS is a unique
> acronym not easily to be confused with other meanings/acronyms/terms.

I'm don't know what is official PSC-approved policy about the name
(usage of GIS). Nevertheless, as Madi noted, "GRASS" may be misleading
and we (or at least I) say "GRASS GIS" when speaking about GRASS more
officialy.

However, for the wiki we (or at least I) use just "GRASS Wiki" not
"GRASS GIS Wiki". Please, try to put both into the wiki logo, to
compare all versions also graphicaly.

Thanks, Vaclav