[GRASS-user] decoding esri file format

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:37:29 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Stuart Edwards <sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com>wrote:

> > xx.tfwx - I believe this is the tif georeferencing file but normally you
> don't have the last x
> called a 'world' file - as in "what in the world can I do with this?"

Hehe, nice... The world file is one way of storing the coordinates in
GeoTiff files. The GeoTiff format page in the gdal website has a nice
explanation [1]. See Georeferencing.

What you might want to try is remove the X at the end of the world file and
run gdalinfo again, to see if the coordinates of your image corners are
correct. But gdal might not identify the projection since that is described
inside the xml file.

Cheer
Daniel

[1] - http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html