[GRASS-user] 6.4.x or 7 and the neteler mitasova book

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 10:20:23 PST 2013

I guess it depends what you are going to use it for, but I think grass 7 is
more or less on par in many area, and has more functionality in others (
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures). There are a number of
things that run better in grass 7.0, for example handling of vector layers
and working with large data sets.

Of course, version 7 is a development version, with the associated risks.
How much time you have to deal with bugs in your job? Having said that, I
am not too sure version 7.0 is that much more buggy then 6.4. There was
some discussion on this issue on the email list one or two weeks ago.

I also have the book, and it is still very useful, also for using with
grass 7.0. Which underlines that from an user interface perspective changes
aren't that big (don't get me wrong, there are clear and important
improvements, but they will not feel alien if you are used to 6.4). Sure,
there are quite a lot of changes in the names of function parameters and
flags, but these are clearly listed (see link given earlier) and are more
or less consistent so you get them quick enough.It certainly is something
you should be aware of though if you plan to write a lot of scripts in 6.4,
because you probably will have to adapt them when moving to grass 7.x.