[GRASS-user] Converting Vector to Raster

nik at nikosalexandris.net nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jul 1 11:41:38 PDT 2013

> Pedro Camargo wrote:

> Hi,

Hello Pedro,

> I am trying to convert a vector file (areas for FAF (Freight Analysis
> framework) regions in the US) to raster, but the results I get are quite
> weird.

> The results are attached.

> I think that the issue is that I’d have to set a resolution for the raster
> file (pixel size), but I did not find a place where I could do so.

Correct.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have to use g.region
(<http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/g.region.html>) to set the resolution
and the extent upon which (almost) all raster modules will work on.

For example, given your Location "measures" meters  -- you can confirm that
with  "g,proj -p"  -- it could be something like 0.5km:

g.region vect=FAF_map res=500 -p

Best, Nikos